I have to prepare a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly report… This is what managers do. Why? Why writing reports is more important than leading people or solving problems or proposing ideas?
Reports are important but in most cases reporting can be automated. We have to stop for a while and start working smart.
- Can we talk about my idea?
- Unfortunately I have to prepare a report. I have no time.
- What report?
- I have to prepare a financial statements. Download time logs from our experts, copy and paste them from hundreds of e-mails. Horrible…
- Why don’t you use your brain and computer for doing all these things?
Let’s look at an example of an application that downloads attachments and move e-mails from Inbox to a separate folder. Here I will describe a procedure that may be used to download attachments from our e-mails.
Last time I have described a theory about finding typos in a set of data in an Excel file without using spell checker e.g finding typos in accounts numbers. Let’s assume that in most cases our data is correct (often true) and we collected number of transactions made by our clients. The data might look like below.
To compute probability we will use two simple Excel functions COUNTIFS and COUNT.
Previously I have shown how to use Excel and VBA language to automatically format financial statements or other documents. Today I will describe how to use theory of probability to correct typos in the data collected in our database e.g spreadsheets.
Surprised? Yes, we use theory of probability and statistics, completely useless piece of …. maths, to automatically find and correct typos made by our clients or colleagues.
– We don’t need that because we have autocorrection tools in our office software!
– Show me then, how to correct surnames or account numbers using these tools?
– Oh… We need to wait when our customer will tell us about the mistake in his/her personal data…
– And then you need to say sorry ;)
– What can I do instead?
– Let’s look at the example below …