As soon as possible… how does it look like in the long run?
The goal is to do tasks immediately. Unfortunately in most cases tasks cannot be separated. When we build a house we start from foundations. We have to be sure that everything is good enough to start building a walls. Otherwise, after some period of time our house will be turned into a piles of rubble. Can we enjoy fast results if we will be forced to repeat everything? Sometimes we are doing our tasks ASAP, but like a hamster in a spinning-wheel we are stuck in the same place. What do you think about that?
Previously I have shown how to use Excel and VBA language to automatically format financial statements or other documents. Today I will describe how to use theory of probability to correct typos in the data collected in our database e.g spreadsheets.
Surprised? Yes, we use theory of probability and statistics, completely useless piece of …. maths, to automatically find and correct typos made by our clients or colleagues.
– We don’t need that because we have autocorrection tools in our office software!
– Show me then, how to correct surnames or account numbers using these tools?
– Oh… We need to wait when our customer will tell us about the mistake in his/her personal data…
– And then you need to say sorry ;)
– What can I do instead?
– Let’s look at the example below …
– Are you responsible for communicating the problems and solutions?
– Yes, I am.
– Is your manager responsible for observing your work and improve your working environment?
– I don’t know… I have never seen this.
– Do you like to talk about your problems?
– I fell like in front of the court, but what else can I do? Unfortunately, it is often impossible to change anything.
– What do you do?
– I feel like I should pretend that everything is fine… but it is hard to change your values.
The key to any process improvement is to question everything; not just accept the status quo.